الأحداث الحالية - أخبار و صور
Al-Sumait Prize 2022 Invitation for Nominations
The Al-Sumait Prize for African Development is an annual award initiated by the Late Amir of the State of Kuwait, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, after a Kuwaiti physician, the late Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sumait, who dedicated his life towards helping the disadvantaged in Africa in many fields including health, food security, and education. The prize aims to recognize and appreciate the best studies, scientific projects, applied research, and initiatives with high impact for the advancement of economic, social, human resources, and infrastructure development in the African continent.
The subject for the 2022 prize cycle is Food Security:
The prize is to be awarded to individuals or institutions who, through their research projects or initiatives, have made significant advancement within the following areas:
- Developing new varieties of seeds, crops or livestock which can improve the food security and nutrition in Africa.
- Increasing the shelflife, calorific and nutritional value of food produced and consumed domestically.
- Improving smallholder farmers' access to agricultural inputs, techniques, technologies and markets to increase the availability of nutritious products, which are highly needed to improve the diet of the most vulnerable people living and making their livelihoods from the most marginal areas in Africa.
- Improving farmers' resilience to climate change and extreme weather variability to ensure sustainable livelihoods, food security and nutrition.
- Reducing significantly the food waste and food loss in the African continent agrifood systems.
- Developing new alternative agrifood systems, increasing both productivity while reducing the water foorprint, particularly in the marginal environments of the continent.
- Improving marketing, digititalization and adoption of modern business strategies in the field of food security and nutrition.
- Providing innovative and sustainable solutions in combating food insecurity and malnutrition in the African continent.
- Addressing issues relevant to gender equality and women emplowerment in Africa in achieving food security and nutrition.
- Developing innovative projects and/or programs to improve agricultural livelihoods, food security, and nutrition during pandemics.
Conditions and requirements:
- The nominated candidates' research and development work or projects and initiatives must be innovative and have achieved high-impact in the African continent.
- The submitted work must be of paramount importance in promoting significant economic, social, human resources and infrastructure development within the announced field of the prize.
- Submitted research work of a nominated candidate should be composed of studies and applied research, published in p e e r - r e v i e w e d s c i e n t i f i c journals and recognized at a global level within the announced field. The research outcomes need to have been applied after publication in African countries within the past ten years. Adequate supporting evidence needs to be provided.
- Nominations are accepted from competent regional and international institutions and scientific centers (universities, institutes and centers of scientific research) as well as from UN organizations, former winners in the field of the prize, or former evaluation members.
- All submissions must be submitted in English. If the work is carried out is in other languages, a comprehensive summary of the nominated work in English must be submitted.
How to Apply:
- Fill in the prize nomination form: http://www.alsumaitprize.org/nominations/ and send it along with the scientific production works electronically in PDF format
- Applications are addressed to the Director General of the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS).
- The nomination form and submitted works must be received before July 30th 2022.