Directory Of Process And Work Regulations
Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development (Information and studies Department) aims in acquiring all formats of traditional and non-traditional resources that matches with policy of work in the Kuwait Fund. That policy acts as a guide for selecting and purchasing all library material. Once library material goes through various stages : Selection, Ordering, classification some documents based on local and our books are classified to library of congress classification system.
This is to provide our customers (readers) with the best service in terms of reading, and borrowing.
Thus, KFund Information and studies Department makes community assessment through the following process:
1. Selecting the Information Resources.
2. Acquisition of Information Resources.
3. Indexing and Classification.
5. Weeding and Discarding.
In order to effectively develop the best library collection based on scientific rules the library had implemented special acquisition n policy, further this policy is changeable and updating according to KFund labor market needs.
Selection of Information Resources:
First: Main Core Subjects that the library acquire are the following:
1.Third World Economies.
4.International – Relations.
7.Economic and Social Development.
Second: Who will select subject of the resources:
1.Selection process: the library collection is selected by:
2. The library director .
3. The Deputy library directors.
4. The information specialist.
5. The staff member in Operation Department.
Tools for Selection:
2.List of Publishers.
4.Customer's suggestions and recommendations.
Selection General Rules
1. The subjects resources selected must assigned according to acquisition policy.
2. Two copies are kept.
3. Language: Arabic, English and French.
4. Focus on Commercial resources.
5. The resources will be judged according to the content quality the information resources.
6. Focus on the electronic resources.
7. Focus on hot and up-to-date subjects.
8. Resources selected above the student's university level.
How do we select All of our Information Resources
1. Purchasing our information resources from Blackwell Publishers through their website.
2. Purchasing our information resources through organizations and authorities websites , or from books' expositions.
3. Annual Subscription for periodicals either the publisher directly or through the main accredited world wide agent SWETS.
4. Comprehensive annual subscription with some annual corporation that they provide us with their latest publications.
5. Gifts and exchange: KFund Information and Studies Department receive parcels of gifts or exchange, this materials can be checked and stamped by the date of arrival. Also our library has clear policy against those items.
6. Kuwait Fund publications.
7. Other free information resources that are available in the internet in all formats whether they are books, periodicals, documents, seminars, or conference proceedings … etc.
8. Subscription in Databases that are accessible directly through the internet, or some other formats of bibliographical and statistical information are available on CD-ROMs are where they can be installed in our central server.
Formats of Information Resources that have been acquired:
1.Printed and electronic books.
2. Printed and electronic periodicals.
3.All formats of databases (CD-ROM, Online)
5.All maps formats.
7.Kuwait Fund Project documents.
8.Accredited Consulting firms file register in Kuwait Fund.
Steps for Books Ordering Procedures
1. We select our books from the publishers and through navigation in to their home pages. Also through electronic advertisements and their newsletters through the email, or through our customers' recommendation propositions.
2. We order the book through the email or through navigation on the publisher's website.
3. We order the free books from either through the postal address of the corporations and authorities or through their emails address.
4. After receiving the invoice through the air–mail or the email, we send it the accounting department for payment procedures and we keep one copy of the invoice in our department's file.
5. After receiving the book we check the requested book against the invoice , then it goes to the technical process including accessioning , indexing and classification.
6. In case we do not receive the book within the assigned date, we send the a reminder letter to the publisher. Or in case of the book was miss-shipped we also send a letter to the publisher to acknowledge him in order that they re-send us an other copy.
Acquisition of Periodicals:
1. As well as the acquisition of books, Once the initial selection for subscription of local or foreign periodical, there are four stages in acquisition periodicals :
Selection, Ordering, Accessioning, and payments. Each stage has several operations and recording procedures.
2. Once we agree on subscribing in any selected periodical we send the publisher or the agent either through the email (electronic format subscription), fax or through a written letter that that letter includes a request for annual subscription.
3. We order the free periodicals either from a local, foreign corporation, or non-profit organization through their email address.
4. We follow–up the received periodical through a manual card that includes the issue date, the review number. Also we send a follow-up letter to inform the agent to send us their periodicals on regular basis.
5. After one year, we reassess the need for renewal based on the community need and use .
6. As for the foreign subscription if we decided to renew their subscription , we refer that request to the accredited agent SWETS.
World Bank Documents and International Monetary Fund:
1- We receive the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund documents for free send , thus we order their publication directly through the email from their head office in the Middle East.
2- The Availability of the electronic versions on the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund websites , we try to link those E-publications in to Kuwait Fund library Database.
3- We organize the selection for the electronic formats according to our customers : legal, economist as well as engineering advisers.
Documents of Corporations:
1- We select the corporations' documents through their websites by sending them an email in order to satisfy our customers needs.
2- The Approved Document Request Form, order form, and the original invoice must be sent to accountant department.
3- We create classification card for the free corporation and authorities documents and we link their (URL) to our electronic index.
Fourth: Feasibility Studies:
1. Feasibility studies are documents concerned with Kuwait Fund project, we receive those documents either the governments or from the engineering consulting firm.
2. We follow-up the Kuwait Fund studies through the loan borrowers, (follow-up at governmental level), to assure their arrival on regular basis.
Fifth: Consulting firm's file:
1.In order to register consulting firm the initial step is that firm must pick up their application either through postal address or the email.
2. They send their filled application form attached with a cover letter, then the deputy manager for operations and disbursement along with a team of professional engineers will decide whether this firm is accredited to certain criteria or their field of specialization does not match with the scope of work with Kuwait Fund projects.
3. If they decide to register this firm according to our engineers opinions in the Operations department.
4.Then Kuwait Fund top management will agree and rely their opinion, and we will register the consulting firm then we will send them acknowledgement letter either through their postal address or their email.
Technical procedures (Classification and indexing)
1.The Books are classified according to the Library of Congress classification system.
2.When Kuwait Fund Library receive the printed book, the employee check and recheck whether or not the right book ordered or not.
3.Then, he /she insert the primary information of the book such as: the author's name, title, and the publication information.
4.The book can be classified as one of the following ways:
a. Copy Cataloging from the internet site related to the American Libraries (ITS MARC) and add it to Kuwait Fund Library Database.
b. In case he/she did not find the electric card of the book in ITSMARC , the employee will do original cataloging on Horizon Cataloging Program.
c. When original cataloging done he/she use the label for the book and shelf it.
d. We do send the Current Dissemination of Information electronically via the email to our team of experts in Operation Department.
1. Periodicals are classified according to the Library of Congress classification system.
2.Once we are subscribed in any new journal we do classify them in various ways:
a. We make copy cataloging and pull the original record from ITSMARC site and edit the record and copy it on Horizon Cataloging Program.
b. In case he/she did not find the electric card of the book in ITSMARC , the employee will do original cataloging on Horizon Cataloging Program.
3. When we receive the new periodicals we do create follow-up cards, we register them and shelf them in alphabetical order.
4. As for the back issue they are also classified according to the Library of Congress classification system.
5.We follow-up the late issues and contact the publisher or the company via the email.
6.We do Xerox for the table of content of the periodical, and we send them to our team of experts in the Operation Department so that they will be aware of the newly received ones and select the articles that they need them.
a. World Bank and International Monetary Fund Documents:
1. . World Bank and International Monetary Fund Documents are classified according to local classification system.
2.Once we receive those documents we check in Horizon System that they are not duplicates.
3.If the documents are newly received we do classify and add the descriptors from (Macro-thesaurus for Information Processing in the field of Economic and Social Development) For example (each document related to specific country carry three alphabetic letters indicates that AAA. means Angola ..etc).
4.Most received documents need updating of their dates, and the number of pages.
5.After doing the above process, we do shelf the documents in particular shelves specialize for them.
b. Documents of other International and Regional Organizations:
1.We do classify those documents according local classification system.
2.We follow the same steps like the once for World Bank documents classification system except that we add the letter B after writing the three alphabetic letters of the country so that we can distinguish non – World Bank documents from World Bank Documents.
Fourth: Feasibility Studies
1.We classify the Feasibility studies according local classification system.
2.The feasibility studies are enclosed with official action sheet, we register all the detailed information of the studies add the classification number to facilitate the retrieval.
3.The classification process of the feasibility studies are almost similar to the documents, except that we add initials besides the classifications number to distinguish the kind of the document we receive . For Example ( Feasibility Studies get A, Progress reports get B, Technical and financial proposals get C, Draft Contracts and Bids get D )
4.Then we shelf the studies on the shelf.
Fifth: Consulting Firms
1.We classify the consulting firms according to a local classification in-house system tailored to the Fund's needs.
2.Usually we receive the consulting firm's application form attached with an action sheet, we insert all the detailed data related to each consulting firm on Kuwait Fund in-house system .
3.We register a given serial number on the action sheet, and we send acknowledgement letter either via the air-mail or via the email to the consulting firm informing them that they are officially registered on our database.
4.We keep a copy of the sent letter after being signed by the deputy director of operations and disbursement.
5.We shelf the application form in it's particular section.
6.All the registered and approved consulting firms should update their information every five years, and if they did not update their record, Kuwait Fund management will not call their application forms in case their is new bids.
7. In some cases we send apologize letter just in case the Kuwait Funds' technical team of experts did not agree to register the consulting firm for some highly technical reasons, that letter will be approved and singed by the deputy director of operations and disbursement, and of course we keep a copy of the apologize letter in a special file for such kind of letters.
First: Borrowing Services
1.Borrowing service is available to all Kuwait Fund employees as the following:
a. Books : Books borrowing is available has no limited number of books, and that service valid for one month and they can renew it for further period of desired time.
b. Non-Kuwait Fund employees (researchers , professors, students ..etc) can borrow books, but after the approval of the library director.
1.Kuwait Fund employees can borrow the a non-limited number of periodical maximum for one week , where as the newly received specialized magazines are borrowed weekly and on regular basis for our technical team of experts in Operation Department and most of those magazines are a kind of bulletins.
2.Inter-Library Loan (ILL Service) is available among Kuwait libraries whom they are specialized in field of work.
c. Feasibility Studies:
Those highly specialized studies are restrictedly borrowed only by our technical team of experts.
d. Engineering Consulting Firms:
the forms of consulting firms are restrictedly borrowed by our technical team of experts.
Second: Xerox :
1.Xerox is available for all Kuwait Fund employees, as well as for researchers , professors, students ..etc. But restrictedly according to the law of Intellectual property Protection that means within reasonable limits .that means we do not exceed 10% of the requested book or the book on reserve.
Third Reference Desk:
This service amplifies answering all the quick and pop questions by our customers , those kinds of questions does not need long search such as retrieval a map of certain country , or answers related to statistics.
Fourth: Reference Search Service:
This service needs long term search in order to retrieve the exact information needed, and here our information specialist search on local and external data bases and it consumes a lot of time.
Fifth: Current Awareness:
It is a kind of up-to-date electronic bulletin that includes the newly acquired periodical, books, documents where it is return within month. This E-bulletin is sent via email to our team of technical staff of experts.
Sixth: Possible Information Resources:
It is specialized list of resources tailored for our technical team of experts, it in which we provide up-to-date books, periodicals, feasibility studies plus statistical information about the country where should are going to do their appraisal.
Weeding-out procedures for Information Resources:
The printed information resources are increasing, and the space of the library is limited, so we agree on weeding out policy and it is updated every five years according to our customers needs.
Reasons for Weeding-out :
1.We try save the space for new coming resources (periodicals, books, documents ..etc)
2.The spoilage and misuse of some information resources.
3.Some theories are really out-dated specially those which are related to information field and technology.
4.To realize the quantity of missing resources in our library.
Translated by Head of Studies Division
Iman A. Al-Shatti