Current News & Events
Signature of a Grant Agreement for Utilization of a grant of US. $10 Million by the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development for the Financing of UNHCR Project for Improving the Living Conditions of Camp-based Syrian Refugees in Northern Iraq
A Grant Agreement was signed today in the city of Kuwait between the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development (the Fund) concerning the utilization of a Grant of US$ 10 million by the Fund, the administration of the Grant having been entrusted by the Fund to the UNHCR, for financing of UNHCR Project for Improving the living conditions of Camp-based Syrian Refugees in Northern Iraq, which will be implemented by UNHCR.
The Grant Agreement was signed on behalf of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees by Her Excellency Kelly T. Clements, UN Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees, whereas His Excellency Mr. Abdulwahab Ahmed Al-Bader, Director-General of Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development signed the Agreement on behalf of the Fund.
The Project is designed to contribute to improving the living conditions of Camp-based Syrian Refugees in Northern Iraq and it consists of the following main components:
- Upgrading of Shelters: 1,200 in Domiz 1 Camp and 300 in Domiz 2 Camp (Dohuk Governorate):
Upgrading which includes removal of tents, extension of concrete slabs (about 7m x 4.2m), construction of two rooms on each slab (about 3.7m x 3.08m for each room).
- Construction of New Shelters: 150 in Domiz 1 Camp (Dohuk Governorate):
Construction which includes provision of shower rooms (about 1.5m x 1.5m), latrines (about 1.2m x 1.2m), kitchens (about 1.8m x 1.8m), necessary water supply and sewage systems (inclusive of septic tanks), concrete slabs about 7m x 4.2m), construction of two rooms on each slab (about 3.7m x 3.08m for each room).
- Open Channel Construction: Domiz 1 Camp (Dohuk Governorate):
Construction of open channels in Domiz 1 for drainage, with a length of about 6,000m and width of about 0.6m, and a depth of about 0.15m.
- Solar Lighting: Domiz 1 and Domiz 2 Camps (Dohuk Governorate):
Provision of about 400 street lights in Domiz 1 and about 250 street lights in Domiz 2 (each with a solar panel).
- Roads: Qushtapa Camps and Kawergosk Camps (Erbil Governorate):
Necessary construction works for the improvement of roads to bituminous surface with about 7.5m width and a length of about 13 km in Qushtapa camp and about 12 km in Kawergosk camp.
- Supply and installation of 10 solar energy water pumps in Basirma Camp (one pump), Darashakran Camp (three pumps), Kawergosk Camp (three pumps), and Qushtapa Camp (three pumps).
- Consultancy services for the supervision of all the works.
- Institutional Support which includes provision of salaries for personnel for the Project Implementation Team for a duration of 1.5 years.
The total cost of the Project, including physical and price contingencies, is estimated at about US$ 10 million, equivalent to about KD 2.94 million. The Project is expected to be completed by end of 2018.
It is worth mentioning that this Agreement is concluded within the framework of the Memorandum of Understanding dated May, 2016 between the UNHCR and the Fund, on cooperation and collaboration between the Fund and UNHCR, which aims at serving their respective activities and shared objectives to help the refugees returnees and displaced persons, including Syrian Refugees..